What Is an Oncologist?
Oncologists are doctors who diagnose and treat cancer. They often act as the main healthcare provider for someone with cancer—designing treatment plans, offering supportive care, and sometimes coordinating treatment with other specialists.
What Does an Oncologist Do?
Oncology is the study of cancer. Oncologists specialize in managing and treating patients throughout the course of the disease, which involves:
- Confirming a patient’s initial diagnosis
- Explaining the cancer diagnosis and stage
- Providing all possible treatment plans and offering recommendations
- Overseeing the course of treatment
- Helping patients manage symptoms and side effects of both the disease and the treatment plan
Their work isn’t limited to cancer treatment, however. Many oncologists are board-certified to practice hematology as well, treating patients with blood conditions including:
- Anemia, a condition that results from a shortage of red blood cells
- Sickle cell disease, an inherited blood disorder that can affect circulation
- Different types of thrombosis, which occur when blood clots block blood vessels
Oncologists typically have a specialty within the field, so they often expand a patient’s team to include the right doctors for a chosen treatment plan.
Types of oncologists include:
- Medical oncologists who treat cancer with chemotherapy or immunotherapy
- Surgical oncologists who remove tumors in surgery
- Radiation oncologists who treat cancer with radiation therapy
Other oncology specialists focus on treating cancer in specific areas of the body. For example, gynecologic oncologists treat uterine, ovarian, and cervical cancers, while a hematologist-oncologist focuses on blood cancers. There are also pediatric oncologists who specialize in cancers common in children and teenagers.
Reference Link : https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/what-is-an-oncologist
If are you looking for the best chemotherapy specialist in Pimpri Chinchwad, Pune? Contact Dr. Wategaonkar Cancer Hospital for the oesophageal, bladder lung head & neck cancer treatment. Call us at +91 9545496547 for more information.